Coax cables are like oxygen for radio lovers. These cables have 4 protective layers promising zero interference and excellent connectivity. You can use them for various reasons, both audio and video. The great thing about them is that they work with almost all electrical devices. Most cables have a magnetic base that makes the installation process seamless.
Specifically for HF Ham Radio, there are multiple coax cables that you will find on the market. If you are unable to decide which way to go, our list can help. We have handpicked the best coax for HF Ham Radio exclusively for you!
Best coax for HF Ham Radio
1. Coax Cable Connector – STEREN
From 3 feet to 100 feet, you can choose any length available. STEREN provides quite a few options. It is also among the most popular coax cables for HF Ham Radio because it comes with multiple exciting features such as the following:
- This is an 8 UHF, RG8X Mini 50 Ohm cable.
- It is a significant upgrade from RG58.
- It is ideal for two-way radio applications, amateur, and CB. You can use it for other high-power applications as well.
- The cable has a UHF-UHF antenna and the connectors are nickel-plated.
- It is a completely molded PL 259 cable.
2. Cable Experts – RG-8X Coax Cable
Say hello to an Amazon’s Choice product! The coax cable from Cable Experts is available for the majority of uses. This is why you can buy any length from 1.5 feet to a whopping 150 feet. But why should you buy it? Here are a few compelling reasons:
- It is a 50 Ohm, heavy-duty coax cable.
- It is an RG8X cable that holds signal with almost zero signal loss.
- You can use it for multiple reasons including HF Ham Radio, RF antenna connection, CB, switch meter, antenna tuner, etc.
- It has been engineered for direct ground burial.
- The wire has a polyethylene jacket that provides protection and durability.
- It has a 74% velocity pace.
- It connects from HF to VHF.
- The manufacturers provide a warranty of 5-years, which is a seal of trust.
3. Wilson Electronics Coax Cable
The Wilson Electronics Coax Cable is known for ultra-low signal loss among other things. It is available as a solo cable or with antenna and a pole mount. You can choose based on your requirements. We have enlisted a few of its features here:
- It works seamlessly with 50 Ohm amplifiers.
- The cable has an N-type connector. It is weather-proof and threaded.
- It boosts signal and has the ability to handle up to 11 GHz frequency.
- You can use it with almost all carriers.
- The cable is CL3-rated.
- The manufacturers offer a 3-year warranty to back their cables.
4. BOOBRIE Coax Cable
The BOOBRIE Coax Cable is an RG58 cable with a UHF male to male antenna. It has wide-spread applications that make it a must-have. Let’s find out more:
- This is a high-quality and low-loss cable.
- The connector is made of pure copper and provides great flexibility.
- The impedance is 50 Ohm with little to no signal loss.
- You can use it for any application that requires a UHF connector. This includes radios, LAN devices, digital communication systems, CCTV, etc. Within radios, it has applications in Ham Radio, two-way radio, CB, FM radio, and public radio scanner.
- The length of the cable is 15 m.
5. Times Microwave – PL259 Coax Cable
Times Microwave is currently offering an LMR240 coax cable that’s reliable and among the best we have seen in recent times. Below are a few of its features:
- It has PL-259 UHF coax connectors. You can use it to connect radio transmitters, meters, receivers, and antennae.
- It has a soldered-center.
- The connectors are silver-plated, which allows better signal transmission.
- The conductors are of very good quality, enabling long and short runs without any signal loss.
- The jumpers come very handy in emergencies.
- The impedance is 50 Ohm.
Any choice you make from these 5 will be the right choice. So don’t hesitate – choose whichever cable suits your requirements.
Best coax for HF Ham Radio – FAQs
We decided round off our article with a sweet little bonus for you – answering a few FAQs!
How do you buy the best coax for HF Ham Radio?
There are a few factors that you must consider.
- Type of cable – the cable must have an impedance of at least 50 Ohm and a good shield such as a Teflon jacket.
- Frequency – this depends on your requirements. Different cables work with high and low frequencies. Choose accordingly.
- Wire attenuations – attenuations cause signal loss. This is common in wires with a large diameter. So, it is best to choose thinner ones.
Can you use RG6 for Ham Radio?
RG6 is ideal for 150 MHz and below. This means that you can use it with any antenna on the 2 m band. But if you use it above the said frequency, you will not have efficiency. The signal loss will be way too much.
Is RG8X good for HF?
Absolutely, yes! RG8X cables are of extremely high quality. They have a copper braid shield and ensure minimal signal loss.
Why is coax preferred for Ham Radio?
Coax cables are of very good quality and provide excellent coverage. They are also very good conductors. These are some of the features that make them ideal for Ham Radio.
If you have any more questions for us or would simply like to drop feedback, you know what to do! Just leave a comment and we will be happy to address it.